Impulse Tests are Useful for many Other Applications. Surface casing-vent tests can be conducted using the closed-chamber method. Closed-chamber drill stem tests. Pre-frac’ evaluations and frac’ falloff tests. Alberta AER Initial Pressure requirements can be achieved with a variety of subsurface pressure PID techniques:
- Recorders on bottom before perforating (used with TCP guns)
- Recorders attached to the drop bar (use a spring to dampen impact on gauges)
- Recorders on bottom after perforating (may have wellbore storage issues)
- Recorders on bottom below a WR bridge plug (limits wellbore storage issues)
- Horizontal well, multi-stage frac’ string installed, run recorders, open toe port (becomes a Formation Leak-off test)
Portions of this iReport were derived from the technical paper cim 2000–80 “Impulse, Perforation and Closed Chamber Testing: Simple, Quick Cost-effective Snapshots of Reservoir Inflow Characteristics” by David Leech, Robert V. Hawkes, Paul Storey and Sharyda Brown.